Wigan Athletic 3 Blackburn Rovers 3

  • Posted on: 21 November 2011
  • By: isport

An eventful afternoon saw Blackburn striker Yakubu net a penalty nine minutes into injury to claim a point for the visitors.

Wigan will feel they should have had the three points after officials failed to spot an infringement during Blackburn's second goal.

Yakubu gave Blackburn the lead after just one minute, before Jordi Gomez equalised for Wigan six minutes later. Scottish defender Gary Caldwell put Wigan in front with a powerful header after half an hour, and Blackburn appeared to be heading towards yet another defeat. Blackburn's chances took a turn for the worse as midfielder David Dunn was shown a second yellow card and given his marching orders. The odds of a win were slowly dwindling on the Blackburn betting indexes.

However, Blackburn managed to level the scores with a controversial goal - Pederson seemingly took a short corner to Yakubu, then took the ball back and charging towards goal, before squaring for Hoilett to slot home. However, replays showed that Yakubu did not touch the ball, meaning that a free kick should have been given against Pedersen. However, the officials failed to spot this, and allowed the goal to stand.

As the clock ticked down, Wigan took the lead for the second time, this time Crusat stabbing the ball beyond Robinson to make the score 3-2. Robinson, however, was Blackburn's saviour as he went up for a late corner and was fouled, winning Blackburn the penalty which Yakubu converted to earn the visitors a valuable point. It was a great day to be Premier league betting - a 3-3 draw had been available at almost 100/1 on the exchanges before the match!

The eventful match was perhaps overshadowed by off the field events, with Blackburn supporters fighting amongst themselves in the stands, with several fans removed from the ground. Much of the arguments appeared to be related to banners and chants requesting the sacking of Blackburn boss Steve Kean, as Blackburn's poor run continued. The bizarre afternoon was made even more eventful by Blackburn owners the Rao brothers disappearing from the directors box just after half time, seemingly missing the second half.